Friday, October 18, 2013

The Greedy Triangle

 No geometry lesson is complete without the book "The Greedy Triangle."

It is one of my favorite math lessons. I don't own this book but I was able to find it online. If you can't access you tube at your school (like me) then you can find it on gaggle tube. Just type it in the search engine.
 
After we listened to the story, each student chose a triangle that I had cut out in all different shapes and sizes. We brainstormed where we see triangles in the world around us and each student shared what they were going to turn their triangle into. This was a very important step. My rule was that you had to make something different from everyone else.  In previous years I haven't done this and everyone made the same thing...you guessed it, the roof of a house. I love what some of them came up with all on their own!
 







 
And much much more. They were so proud of how they used their imaginations to manipulate and create their triangle into an object.
 
Another great activity I did with shapes this week is this poem to go in their poetry journals. It is titled "What Creature is This" and it's all about a jack o lantern made out of shapes! I passed out some shapes and they created the creature in the poem.

 
Do you read "The Greedy Triangle?" I would love to hear what you do with this story!
 

 

8 comments:

  1. Great article, thanks a lot for sharing. Great structure, great description, good to know info.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ceasuri de mana, ceasuri barbatesti, ceasuri dama, ceasuri ieftine

    Ceasuri de mana, ceasuri barbatesti, ceasuri dama, ceasuri ieftine. Plata ramburs, transfer bancar sau card. Transport GRATUIT prin curier la comenzi peste 150 RON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. add insight into a broad and obtain useful information thanks admin.jual jaket kulit visit back my website

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing to visit this blog is useful information and add our insight and knowledge for us all thank you admin..toko jaket kulit visit my websit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her much information visit here to add insight to me then give useful for everyone. a visit back in jual jaket kulit asli... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing to visit this blog is useful information and provide comfort for visitors. a visit back in jaket kulit asli.... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. very unusual and updates continue posting helpful articles I always will then visit and enjoy the latest articles visit back produsen jaket kulit...thanks admin

    ReplyDelete
  7. be a reflection and a lot of knowledge to visit this blog and interesting to read thanks admin, my site can visit jaket kulit garut much koleksi leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing of information for me. If you are interested in the field of laser engraving machine, I would like to share with you some information for your reference as follows: laser cutting engraving machine ( Máy khắc cắt laser ), laser engraving machines ( Máy khắc bằng tia laser ), laser seal engraving machine ( Máy khắc dấu laser ) , industrial laser marking machine ( Máy khắc laser công nghiệp ), laser cutting machine decal ( Máy cắt laser decal ), laser cutting machine on canvas ( Máy cắt laser trên vải ), laser 1390 ( Máy khắc laser 1390 ), laser 9060 ( Máy khắc laser 9060 ), laser 3020 ( Máy khắc laser 3020 ), laser 1325 ( Máy khắc laser 1325 ).

    ReplyDelete

1.